FOR OPTIMAL BURNING, FOLLOW THESE TIPS
- Do not trim the wick.
- Light candle on a heat resistant surface within sight and away from drafts, children and pets.
- Allow the candle to burn for long enough so that the liquefied wax reaches the outside rim of the glass vessel. This will set its “memory.” Each time you burn the candle, it will "remember" to burn out to the rim. We refer to the liquefied wax as a “melt pool."
- Rule of thumb:
Burn one hour for every inch of your candle's diameter. For example, the LAFCO signature 15.5oz candle has a 4 inch diameter. It could take up to 4 hours to achieve a “full melt pool."
- Trim your wick - Always trim your wick to 1/4" to 1/8” prior to EACH use. Trimming the wick will allow the candle to burn longer and to release more scent.
- To trim the wick, we suggest turning the solidified candle upside down. With a wick trimmer or scissors, trim the wick to remove the “mushroom” left by the previous burn. Turning the candle upside down will prevent the burnt wick form falling into the candle. It is important that the wax be free of any debris including wick trimmings and matches.
- Optimal Burn Times:
- Signature 15.5oz and 3-Wick 30.0oz: 2 to 4 hour increments
- Classic 6.5oz candle: 2 to 3 hour increments.
For optimum performance allow the candle cool for 12 hours before relighting.
- The best way to extinguish a candle is to use a snuffer to deprive the candle of oxygen or a wick dipper to gently push the wick into the melt pool. Be sure to re-center the wick after. Of course you can also gently blow it out., but the cotton wick may produce some smoke.
- LAFCO candles are designed to self-extinguish, leaving approximately ½ inch of wax at the bottom of the glass. If the candle does not self-extinguish, discontinue use of the candle when ½ inch of wax remains at the bottom of the vessel. This will prevent possible heat damage to the counter/surface or container itself. The glass can get hot on the bottom as the flame nears the base of the jar and most of the wax has been consumed.
1. FOR THE FIRST BURN:
2. ON-GOING BURNING OF YOUR LAFCO CANDLE:
3. HOW TO EXTINGUISH AFTER EACH BURN:
4. AT THE END OF THE CANDLE LIFE:
WHERE ARE LAFCO PRODUCTS MADE?
- Our home fragrance products are handmade in the United States and our body care products are artisanally crafted in Italy.
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN A LAFCO CANDLE?
- Our candle formula is simple: soy wax, a small amount of paraffin wax (just enough to enhance the fragrance delivery), fragrance oil and a pure cotton wick (or wicks). The fine fragrance oils used in our candles are made of a blend of ingredients, and are infused with essential oils. We develop our products to meet our highest standards for quality and safety.
WHY USE SOY IN YOUR CANDLES? IS IT BETTER?
- We choose to work primarily with soy wax because it is a renewable, biodegradable, non-toxic and carbon neutral resource. Candles that are made of soy tend to burn more cleanly and for a longer period of time than candles made entirely of paraffin.
DOES LAFCO USE NATURAL FRAGRANCE AND ESSENTIAL OILS IN ITS CANDLES?
- LAFCO uses fragrance oils that have large amounts of natural fragrance components and essential oils.
ARE THE LAFCO FRAGRANCES PHTHALATE FREE?
- All LAFCO fragrances are phthalate free.
HOW FRAGRANT ARE LAFCO CANDLES?
- LAFCO candles are considered by many to be some of the most fragrant candles on the market. Since the wax is primarily soy, the fragrance is always strong but never overwhelming nor concentrated only at the candle source.
I STILL HAVE A LOT OF WAX LEFT AT THE BOTTOM OF MY CANDLE AND THE CANDLE WILL NOT RELIGHT - WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
- It is normal for to have ¼ inch to ½ inch of wax remaining at the bottom of the vessel. LAFCO candles have a self-extinguishing wick that will go out when the wax is at the end of the maximum burn.
MY CANDLE IS TUNNELING DOWN AND THERE IS WAX ON THE SIDE EDGES OF THE GLASS, WHAT IS THIS FROM AND CAN I FIX IT?
- This can happen if, on the first burn, the wax did not burn all the way to the edge of the glass vessel resulting in a full melt pool. Please see "What is the best way to burn a LAFCO candle?" to learn how to prevent tunneling.
- Tunneling can also occur if the candle is repeatedly burned for very short amounts of time. You can try to correct the tunneling by allowing the candle to burn for approximately 4 hours. If the tunnel is too deep it may not be possible to correct the issue.
CAN THE CANDLE CUP BE REPURPOSED?
- Yes! Re-purpose your hand blown glass. Put the vessel into the freezer and allow the wax to harden and shrink. Tap the bottom of the vessel and the wax disc will pop out. If the wax is stubborn it may be necessary to take a kitchen tool to poke the frozen wax towards the middle to break it into pieces. Wash the glass with warm soapy water (it is dishwasher safe). Now, you can reuse the vessel as a vase, drinking glass or any other place a colorful, hand blown glass would be useful.
I HEAR RATTLING AROUND IN THE CANDLE BOX AND THINK THAT THE CANDLE MAY BE BROKEN.
- It is very unlikely that the glass vessel is actually broken. Because our candles are made from natural soy, sometimes the wax can shrink during cold weather. In these cases it is most likely the candle wax has loosened from the side of the vessel and is what is rattling within the box.
- If the wax is loose, make sure that the wick is showing and you are able to light the candle. If so, you will have a successful burning experience and the candle will perform perfectly as advertised. The wax will expand as it heats and fill the gap between the wax solid and glass vessel.
- If the wick is not showing it is because the wick is below the top of the wax. You will, unfortunately, be unable to light the candle. Please contact LAFCO so we can help in this case.
THERE IS BLACK SOOT AROUND THE RIM OF MY CANDLE, WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?
- LAFCO candles should only produce minimal soot as they are made mostly of soy wax. A well-made and properly burning soy candle can often burn for hours without emitting any appreciable soot.
- If you are getting soot on your LAFCO candle it is likely because:
(1) The wick may have become too long when a candle is burning, or if an air current has disturbed the flame's teardrop shape. Small amounts of unburned carbon particles will escape from the flame as a visible wisp of smoke (soot). To avoid this be sure to trim the wick and avoid drafts.
(2) The greatest amount of soot is often emitted from a candle when the flame is extinguished, interrupting the combustion process. The more quickly you extinguish the flame the less soot you will develop. So, using a wick dipper when extinguishing the candle instead of blowing it out can help eliminate soot.
WHY IS THERE OIL ON THE TOP OF THE CANDLE?
- When the weather is very warm, some of the natural oils may sweat in the wax. It is a natural occurrence and not a defect. Simply burn your candle and it will be reabsorbed.
HOW FRAGRANT ARE LAFCO DIFFUSERS?
- We designed our diffusers to be very strong and to fill up entire open spaces large and small.
- We provide 16 reeds with our diffusers. The best way to regulate the amount of fragrance is by adding or removing the reeds. We recommend 6 to 8 reeds for normal sized rooms and up to all 16 reeds for extra large spaces.
- For a more intense scent, you can carefully flip the reeds every few weeks or months. Use caution when doing this as the liquid may stain. Flip the reeds on a non-damageable surface and wash hands afterwards.
HOW LONG DO LAFCO DIFFUSERS LAST?
- LAFCO diffusers are designed to last at least 9 months when using 8 to 10 reeds.
- LAFCO reed diffusers function as a capillary system. The reeds absorb the fragrance and diffuse into the air. Therefore, the number of reeds inserted into the bottle and the number of times the reeds are flipped will effect the longevity and strength of fragrance.
- We also suggest keeping diffusers away from direct sunlight or anything that emits heat to prevent the reeds from drying out prematurely.
HOW DO I PROPERLY USE A LAFCO DIFFUSER?
- We recommend putting the diffuser glass on a non-porous or non-damageable surface. .
- Also, make sure when flipping the reeds that none of the oil is allowed to flow down the glass vessel.
- If the oil spills, clean up immediately. Oils and resins can cause damage to some finishes and fabrics.
- The diffuser solution can be harmful if ingested. Do not consume it and do not let it splash onto your eyes. The solution is also not meant to be used on the skin. Keep away from children and pets.
- Our reed diffuser fragrance oil is not developed for use in water-based aromatherapy diffusers or humidifiers.
WHAT SHOULD I DO WHEN THE DIFFUSER IS FINISHED?
- Like the LAFCO candle glass, our diffusers are made from hand blown glass and each is a unique decorative object.
- We encourage you to refill your vessel (diffuser refills are sold on our website and where LAFCO diffusers are sold). Alternatively diffuser vessels can be repurposed in may ways including as a bud vase, or tapered candle holder.
MY DIFFUSER IS STUCK ON MY TABLES/ SURFACE/ FURNITURE, WHAT DO I DO?
- Do not try to pull the glass away from the surface or it may cause damages.
- Instead, Take olive, vegetable or corn oil and a paintbrush and push in around the bottom of the diffuser vessel. You may have to do this multiple times but the oil will help loosen the vessel from the finished surface. Once you separate the diffuser from the surface, make sure you thoroughly clean the surface.
WHAT IS THE LAFCO ROOM MIST MADE OF?
- LAFCO room mists contain water, alcohol, emulsifiers and fragrance oils. We specially concentrate the fragrances in the room mist to provide a robust burst of lasting scent.
- The room mist is free of dyes and propellants in order to ensure a genuinely pure experience.
HOW ARE LAFCO ROOM MISTS BEST USED?
- LAFCO room mists are perfect for creating an immediate and strong burst of scent. We recommend 2-3 sprays for large rooms and 1 for smaller spaces.
- LAFCO room mist should be sprayed into the air as high as possible to allow the liquid to disperse. Avoid using on furniture because some mists may exhibit color.
- Room mists are best stored at room temperature and away from direct sunlight or anything that emits heat. Always keep room mists out of the reach of children and pets. Avoid contact with eyes.
HOW LONG DO LAFCO ROOM MISTS LAST?
- A room mist bottle produces approximately 600 pumps of scented mist. The duration of each bottle depends on how often you use it.
- The scent from each use will last between 1 to 2 hours, depending on how many pumps you use and how big the room that you spray it in is.
WHERE IS LAFCO'S BAR SOAPS MADE?
- LAFCO’s soap is made at a family-owned, artisanal, soap-making facility in Italy.
WHY DOES THE BAR SOAP FEEL LIKE IT IS NOT RINSING PROPERLY?
- Because, we add almond oil during the last step of production and some of the almond oil remains on the skin after rinsing, it may feel like the soap is not rinsing fully. The soap is rinsing properly and the “slippery” feel is from the nutrients and oils left behind on the skin.
WHY DO MY BARS OF SOAP APPEAR MOIST IN THE PACKAGING?
- Due to the abundance of oils and natural fragrances, some soaps may have traces of oil on the surface. LAFCO bar soaps may exude a bit of oil from time to time, especially when the weather gets warmer. In these cases, simply wipe to clean or rinse under water. Fortunately, this happens because our soap is made to be entirely chemical free and vegan.
IF THE SOAPS ARE NATURAL THEN WHY ARE THERE CHEMICAL SOUNDING NAMES IN THE INGREDIENT LIST?
- LAFCO soaps are completely natural and do not even have chemical preservatives or sodium EDTA in them. Because the soap is made in Europe, we are required by law to list the natural ingredients in the fragrances we use. For example some of our soaps contain Coumarin (naturally found in tonka, vanilla and cinnamon) or Eugenol (clove essential oil).
WHERE IS LAFCO'S LIQUID SOAPS MADE?
- Our liquid soap is made at a family-owned ,eco-certified, manufacturing facility in Italy.
MY LIQUID SOAP IS CLOUDY, IS IT SPOILED?
- No it is not. Our liquid soap is made entirely from olive oil. We have chosen olive oil as a primary ingredient because of its incredible benefits for the skin. However, like olive oil, our liquid soap thickens and gets cloudy at temperatures below 50 F or after it freezes and defrosts. This is normal for olive oil and our liquid soap.
MY LIQUID SOAP IS VERY RUNNY, WHY?
- Our liquid soap contains no synthetic ingredients. Our natural formulation means we do not use any synthetic thickeners such as PEGs.
MY LIQUID SOAP DOES NOT BUBBLE, IS IT CLEANING MY HANDS?
- Because our Liquid Soap is made from olive oil and not from synthetic detergents, it will lather like soap and not bubble or foam. We do not add bubbling ingredients because they are synthetic and can dry the skin. Bubbles are not always your friend.
MY HAND CREAM IS RUNNY, WHY?
- LAFCO’s hand cream is entirely oil based and natural. This means there are no synthetic thickeners. Simply shake the lotion and it will re-blend. Remember oil and water don’t mix unless its shaken – if it does, it’s synthetic.
MY HAND CREAM IS NOT SILKY AND SMOOTH LIKE OTHER ONES I HAVE USED. IT ABSORBS VERY FAST AND I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE QUALITY.
- LAFCO’s hand cream is made without any silicone which is what often gives other creams a silky quality. We do not use any petro-chemicals (silicone is petroleum based) which can clog the pores and give a false sensation of moisture. We only use oils which can be rapidly absorbed into the skin.
WHERE CAN I BUY LAFCO PRODUCTS IN MY AREA?
- Select LAFCO products are sold at approximately more then 2,000 specialty boutique stores across the United States. Please use our store locator to find a retailer near you! Additionally, you can find the entire LAFCO range plus exclusive and seasonal products on our website http://www.lafco.com.
WHAT IS LAFCO AND WHERE IS LAFCO LOCATED?
- LAFCO stands for "Luxury Articles & Fragrance Company." We are a privately owned modern fragrance company founded in 1992 and located in New York City. Products purchased on our website are shipped from our warehouse in Brooklyn, New York.
IS MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION SECURE ONLINE?
- Yes, we use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption to ensure that your information is safe.
DO YOU RUN SALES OR OFFER PROMOTIONAL CODES?
- Periodically LAFCO will offer a sale on the entire website or post items on our sale section. We encourage you to create an account and sign up to receive our newsletter so that you are informed of our promotions..
WHERE CAN I VIEW THE INGREDIENTS USED IN EACH PRODUCT BEFORE I PURCHASE?
- We are very proud of the exceptional quality of our natural ingredients; you can find the complete ingredient list for each one of our products on the buying pages of each item.
DO YOU TEST ON ANIMALS?
- No, LAFCO products are never tested on animals. Only on humans! Additionally, all LAFCO body care products are tested and declared Hypo-Allergenic.
DO YOUR PRODUCTS CONTAIN PARABENS?
- No, LAFCO products do not contain parabens.
ARE YOU PRODUCTS VEGAN?
- Yes all LAFCO products are vegan.
ARE YOUR PRODUCTS GLUTEN FREE?
- Yes, all LAFCO products are gluten free. However, some of our ingredients contain some derivative products and/or may be made at a facility which uses gluten products. It is best to call our customer service team and discuss the particular product should you have additional questions.
HOW WILL MY WEB ORDER SHIP?
- We ship all orders via UPS. Depending on your location in the United States, your order will arrive anywhere between 3-7 business days from the day you place your order using our standard shipping option. Due to the nature of some of our products, we try to limit the shipping in cases of severe cold temperature. Rush shipping is available if desired.
CAN I SEND LAFCO PRODUCTS AS A GIFT?
- Yes, all LAFCO products can be sent as a gift. We will gift box your order and enclose a gift receipt. If you would like to leave a gift note, check the box below your cart items before clicking “check out”.
ARE GIFT CARDS AVAILABLE?
- Yes, Gift cards are available in different increments with no additional processing fees. Gift cards are delivered by email and contain redemption instructions. Please include your recipient’s email address at checkout if you'd like the gift card sent directly to their inbox. Personalized gift notes are also available at checkout.
WHAT IF I MADE A MISTAKE OR WANT TO CHANGE MY ORDER?
- Please email WEBORDER@LAFCO.COM or call us toll free at 800.362.3677 with your change request as soon as possible. We are happy to make adjustments to your order before it has shipped.
DOES LAFCO CHARGE SALES TAX?
- We collect sales tax for orders shipping within New York State. The tax amount will depend on the county or city within the state where the package is delivered.
WHAT HAPPENS IF THE PRODUCT I WANT IS OUT OF STOCK?
- In the rare case that a product is out of stock it usually isn’t out of stock for very long. If you need further information on product availability, please email us at WEBORDER@LAFCO.COM
CAN I TRACK MY ORDER?
- Once your order has shipped, you will receive an email with tracking information. If for some reason you did not receive this information, please contact us at WEBORDER@LAFCO.COM or call toll free at 800-362-367.
DO YOU OFFER EXCHANGES OR REFUNDS?
- Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for a full description of LAFCO’s return policy.
- We always want our customers to be satisfied so if you are not happy with your purchase, please contact our customer service team at WEBORDER@LAFCO.COM or 800-362-3677.
DO YOU SHIP INTERNATIONALLY?
- For orders shipping Internationally or to Puerto Rico, please contact LAFCO customer service at WEBORDER@LAFCO.COM or 800-362-3677 for someone to help take your order and provide shipping quotes. Shipping times and charges will vary depending on location, time of year and package weight Any orders shipping outside of the contiguous 48 states do not qualify for shipping and certain related promotions.
- All international packages may be subject to customs, duties, or other fees that are calculated by country. The customer is responsible for paying any and all local importer duties or other fees.
Copyright © 2018 LAFCO New York.